I just finished my first screencast. After realizing that my old laptop had microphone problems, moving to my desktop and installing Jing (this only takes minutes) on the desktop I was ready to record. It took me several takes, but the Jing toolbar makes it easy to go back and start again. When you are finished recording, Jing gives the options of saving or sharing your screencast. I thought "save" sounded safest, but I was wrong. I saved my screencast in "my documents" but found that I could not open it. After a brief moment of panic, I went to the jing "sun" at the top of the screen and clicked on "history". There was my screencast :) I then chose "share" and Jing quickly uploaded my video to Screencast.com and put a link in my clipboard. Here is the link: http://screencast.com/t/WYwVnIjZLn This video is intended as a follow-up to my library lessons this week with intermediate students showing them how to use the online catalog and how to post book reviews. I posted the link to our library home page. I am looking forward to the reviews!
Photo credit: Screenshot of Jing Overview Retreived from http://video.techsmith.com/jing/2.1/overview/default.asp
I didn't know jing was such a neat tool. Your screencast turned out really good!
ReplyDeleteI also have never used jing. I really like how your screencast turned out! I like that you can show something step by step at a reasonable pace. Did you need to play around with it a fair amount to figure it out or is it fairly user friendly?
ReplyDeleteHi Lisa, It took me a few 'takes', mostly to perfect my script. The interface is very user friendly and the help feature gives step by step instructions - with screenshots :). I used the help feature to learn how to create an embed code so my next screencast will be embedded. One drawback is that the free version only lets you record up to 5 min. Of course, most people's attention span for instructions is only about 5 min. anyway so it actually was good incentive for me edit myself.
ReplyDeleteGreat screencast - how useful! I'm doing mine this week and you have given me a great example to work from. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDelete