Saturday, October 15, 2011

Inquiry learning


Since beginning my studies in teacher-librarianship, I have discovered inquiry learning - or should I say I have discovered the formal curriculum of inquiry learning.  All my life I have been learning through inquiry - wondering how to do something, finding someone or something that can tell me what I need to begin, experimenting and practising, reflecting on my successes and where I still need to learn. The BC Teacher Librarian's Association "Points of Inquiry", the American Association of School Librarians "Standards for the 21st Century Learner" and the Partnership for 21st Century Skills "Learning for the 21st Century" all outline standards and learning outcomes for inquiry learning. Part of my journey to becoming an 'inquiry teacher' is to become an 'inquiring learner'.  During the next few months I will explore several Web 2.0 tools and document my experiments, successes and frustrations on this blog.  I hope this reflection on my own 'inquiry learning' will help me to be a better, more empathetic 'inquiry teacher'.

References
BCTLA. (2011). Points of inquiry: a framework for information literacy and the 21st century learner. [screencapture] Retreived from http://bctf.ca/bctla/pub/documents/Points%20of%20Inquiry/PointsofInquiry.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment